Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I'm Running Faster Now

After the initial shock but lack of surprise of Steve Jobs' death at 56 from cancer, I will run faster, harder, stronger.  Not just because of that but because after having heard of his death, I didn't know that the next person I would meet tonight for the first time has blood cancer.  Her name is Carol.  Carol is proud and thankful that she is a stem cell transplant survivor.  She's not especially thankful that she's a stem cell transplant survivor, she's thankful that the transplant gave her 7 more years with her now 16 year old son.  She is "mad as hell" though.  That's not because she has blood cancer.  That's because of her divorce.  =)  I get mad as hell at the sheer thought of something threatening a relationship between parent and child.  I miss my friend Matt.  You miss your friends, family members.  I miss my cat Bucky who died of cancer when I was 10.  I am not a fan of cats but you get my point.

Training is done, it's the final countdown.....  Put the air guitar away until after you're done reading, I had to.  I want to thank the incredible people at The American Cancer Society - DetermiNation Team for landing this opportunity in my lap.  I have to admit, I didn't join this team in 2010 so I could swallow my pride to collect donations for people with cancer.  I joined because I was too late to register for my first full marathon.  I am so grateful that I found them!  On Sunday, I will be running my 2nd full marathon for The ACS and I couldn't be fortunate to be such a tiny part of something SOOOOOOO BIG!!!  I have met great people who give me encouragement and don't know me very well.  You guys rock!  Thanks for letting me be a part of your team 2 years running!!  Punny, I know.  If you haven't donated and can't, don't worry, I get it.  If you haven't donated and have .50 left until your credit card limit is reached, we could really use it.  If you have someone close to you that you've lost to cancer, give me their name, I'll proudly wear it on Sunday.

We will get you cancer.

Proceed to rip air guitar off the air guitar stand and sing it with me people.....
IT'S THE FINAL COWWWWWNNNNTTTT DOWWWWWWWWNN!!

DONATE HERE:  http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/DNFY11National?px=17929717&pg=personal&fr_id=35201

No comments: